Share your internet connection wirelessly without buying a wireless router, isn’t that cool?
all you need to have is a usb wireless adapter which you can buy one for a very minimal cost, i bought mine for around 15 bucks. The usb wireless adapter must support SoftAP, meaning, you can turn your computer or the host computer into a Wireless Access Point and accept wireless client connections.
This guide was tested using Windows XP SP2 and Realtek RTL8187 chipset USB wireless adapter but any wireless lan adapter should work as long as it has a SoftAP feature.
USB Wireless Adapter Installation
1. Insert the USB Wireless Adapter to any of the vacant USB port in your computer and install the driver when asked.
2. After installing the driver, you should now have the USB wireless adapter utility where you can view your signal strength and the detected wireless network within range.
Setting up Access Point
1. Open the USB wireless adapter utility. Click on Mode Menu and click on Access Point, wait until the Access Point setup is finished.
2. Now that you have the USB wireless adapter changed to Access Point mode, click on the config button. Enter your desired SSID and set the channel to auto. The leave the network authentication to Open System and data encryption to WEP.
3. Under network key, enter your WEP key e.g “9198209068” and click OK to save.
Setting up the Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
1. Now, It is time to share your internet connection to the connected wireless clients. Click on ICS tab (Internet Connection Sharing).
2. Select the public interface, the interface connected to the internet and click the Apply button, wait until the setup is finished.
3. Fire up your favorite browser and try to browse or open a command prompt window and ping an outside network host (try 220.127.116.11). Once you got a reply then you’re all setup.
This setup also works for smart bro connection and ideal to connect your laptop computer or Ipod Touch to the internet.
That is all about it, enjoy surfing wirelessly!
keywords: setting up usb wireless access point, realtek rtl8187, wireless internet connection sharing